Job Title: Legislative and Health Policy Manager
The Minnesota Council of Health Plans is hiring a Legislative and Health Policy Manager to support the strategic goals of Minnesota’s nonprofit health plans. The mission of the Council is to get Minnesotans the affordable, equitable and quality-based care they need today and in the future. The core responsibility for this highly motivated candidate is to advance the industry toward that mission.
Working closely with the Council’s senior staff, this position will support the Council’s strategic priorities, including government affairs, industry advocacy, health equity, and government programs. A successful candidate will be an adept project manager and be able to demonstrate applied experience in health care research/analysis and legislation, as well as support communication strategies related to these areas. A working knowledge of health care in Minnesota and the Minnesota Legislature is highly desired.
Full-time, salaried, exempt, employment at-will position.
St. Paul, Minnesota. Occasional travel (less than 20%) throughout Minnesota and outside the state for external meetings and conferences. Staffers are currently working remotely and are provided equipment for remote-work access.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Facilitate meetings to ensure productive, efficient collaboration, including developing agendas, background materials, meeting notes and work plans.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal employees, Council members, and external stakeholders.
- Identify and monitor key bills/legislative proposals and state and federal regulatory activities.
- Consult with Council members regarding legislation; collect information and data to help determine Council positions.
- Advance the Council's organizational goals by supporting development and dissemination of the Council’s policy positions.
Health Policy Analysis
- Conduct research and analysis on state and federal public policy issues to support the Council’s current initiatives.
- Produce assets to advance public policy goals, including policy papers, testimony, PowerPoint presentations, fact sheets, and research summaries.
- Bachelor's Degree in political science, health policy or related field or 3 years of direct experience in legislative affairs, health plans or state/federal agencies.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, presentation and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to respond to senior level executives, board members and elected officials.
- Strong analytical and research skills with the ability to view an issue from all positions while remaining nonpartisan.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook applications.
Pay and Benefits
Salary range for the position: $70,000-$80,000. This position offers a generous benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, 401(k), long- and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, cell phone and paid parking.
Additional information regarding the Minnesota Council of Health Plans can be found at https://mnhealthplans.wpengine.com/.